Wednesday, April 15, 2009

He’s a Healthy Baby


At Super Stop and Shop I saw a woman with a baby in a carrier. This baby was eight-and-a-half months old and weighed the same as Cole. Yes, the baby was a girl, but still.

I have a big baby. And now that I’ve said it so many times, that’s become his “thing.” Cole IS the big baby. Perhaps I should stop all this labeling right now before it gets out of control.

Cole is simply the size he is. Not that there is anything wrong with being a big baby, or a big grownup for that matter. I guess I just don’t want him to get stuck with a label so early not of his own choosing.

It’s amazing how much we label ourselves and others even when we know it’s not healthy.

This is especially true when it comes to the labels applied to body image. I’ve noticed most people who comment on Cole’s size use the same safe label that I model—big. How different would it be if he were an older child in the 95th percentile for weight? Would he still be big or simply fat? Would he have adorable chunky legs that I like to call ham hocks or would they turn into thunder thighs?

And why am I so focused on his body anyway? Yeah, I know—he’s a baby and we’re delighted in their cute, new bodies. We can’t stop talking about the arms, legs, toes, etc.

And I do love the roundness of his “big” tummy. I know that it’s only “baby fat” and he’ll probably lose it all and be a skinny little guy, but really, I only want him to be healthy.

Hmm…maybe that’s a good label? My healthy baby.

Vote for my post He’s a Healthy Baby on Mom Blog Network

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:43 PM

    He's super cute! You shouldn't worry. My family has big babies too, but this doesn't translate into fat kids and fat adults. Chucky is cute on babies. Just wait until he's running it off in toddlerhood. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone grows at different rates. Unfortunately, it's human nature to compare everything to what we know, and if the majority of babies are smaller than Cole, then people will make comments like "he sure is big!" It's good that you recognize it - how we all label things and we all are conscious of our bodies.

    ReplyDelete