Thursday, April 30, 2009

God is in the Details


“How will I know where to go when I drive?” Genny asked from the backseat as I drove her to school.

“By the time you’re old enough to drive, you’ll know your way around well, or you can use a map.”

“But how will I know where to go if you die?”

And thus begins another one of our death conversations. They tend to happen on our drives to school.

“More than likely you’ll be a grown up with your own children by the time I die. You’ll have learned everything you need to know from me by then.”

I’m always careful to not say, I won’t die before you’re old, because I can’t lie. What if I did die all of a sudden? I don’t want her hating her poor dead mother.

“I don’t want to die.”

“I know, Honey, and hopefully you shouldn’t until you’re very old. That’s why Daddy and Mommy want us all to eat well, exercise, and take care of ourselves, so we can live a long healthy life.”

“I run—that’s exercise,” Genny said.

“Yup.”

“God is everywhere, right, Mommy?”

“Yes, God is love and love is everywhere.”

“Even in the trees, and the sky, and the road!”

“That’s right.”

“And the garbage can, Mommy! God is in the garbage can!”

“Yes!”

“What’s in my lunchbox, Mommy?”

And so the conversation turns.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! Yes, God is in the garbage can! So true and so funny! He's probably in the lunchbox too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, God is in the chicken soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. How sweet! A child's mind thinks like no other!

    ReplyDelete